From:
Andrew Jackson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 May 1999 23:44:24 -0400
Don Satz wrote:

>Nielsen's string quartets have received some fine performances on record in
>recent years.  Kontrapunkt issued the full set a few years ago, and Chandos
>and Simax issued single discs within the past year.

I don't have the Simax, but the Chandos release (the Zapolski Quartet) is a
must avoid IMHO.  They play with much too much desire to charm, rounding of
all the essential sharp edges.  Unfortunately, this single disc is marked
as volume one (shudder).

>I do need to give more time to Nielsen's solo piano works.

Its great stuff!

>I have the Andsnes recording but have only played it twice; I was
>initially taken aback by the dissonant elements in the solo works,
>but I think it's time to delve deeper into this music.

His versions of the Three Piano Pieces (Op 59, FS 131) and the Luciferian
Suite (FS 91) are excellent.  Its a shame he doesn't play the Theme and
Variations or the Piano Music for Young and Old.  Still, we can hope for
another disk!

By the way Don, have you heard Comotio (for organ)?

Best wishes,
Andy Jackson