From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Apr 1999 10:06:23 PDT
I initiated this thread last month and thought I'd keep it going for
another month.  The new releases that have my mouth watering, at least
until I listen to them, are as follows:

Dukas Symphony in C - Slatkin - RCA.  I do remember a list member being
critical of this work, but I have to form my own opinion.

Brahms/Mozart - clarinet quintets - Carbonare - Harmonia Mundi.
These are the two finest clarinet quintets I've ever heard, a great
coupling, and it received an excellent review from Gramophone.

Bach - Wedding Cantatas - Kirby/Hogwood - Decca.  Although not to
everyone's taste, I find Ema Kirby to have an excellent voice for
baroque music.

Tchaikovsky - Symphony no. 5 - Gergiev - Philips.  Every year or two, I
give Tchaikovsky another chance.  Gergiev just might be the one.

Reicha - Quintets, Vol.  3 - Consortium Classicum - MDG.  I have vols.  1
and 2, enjoyed them a lot.

Haydn - piano sonatas - Schiff - Teldec.  I can't resist this one.

Now, for the sure "pick" of the month, I select the Quatuor Mosaiques
performing Mozart's string quartets kv 575 & 590 on Astree.  This
recording should have everything I want from a Mozart string quartet.

Don Satz