From:
Mark Seeley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Apr 1999 13:58:31 -0400
Nate DeMaria wrote:

>I am relatively new to the classical music repertiore, and I am looking to
>expand my personal listening repertiore.  Over the past year I have fell in
>love with Tchaikovsky's 6th symphony, the Brahms Symphonies, Scheherezade by
>Rimsky-Korsakov, the Sibelius, Tchaikovsky and Brahms Violin Concertos, and
>the short pieces of Samuel Barber. . . . Does anyone have any suggestions to
>what pieces I may like, considering the pieces I mentioned above?

Here are my suggestions:

Listen to Rachmaninoff's 1st; Shostakovich's 10th and Prokofiev's 5th
with the Tchaikovsky 6th as a listening group geared toward the Russian
repertory.

Do some comparative listening to Dvorak's 6th symphony with the Brahms 2nd.
Then listen to Brahm's 4th with Bruckner's 4th, Dvorak's 7th and
Hindemith's Nobilissima Visione.

Regarding the violin concertos, listen to the Sibelius concerto with
Elgar's Violin Concerto.  Compare the Brahms concerto with Bruch's Violin
Concerto.  If you are really adventuresome, try Berg's Violin Concerto and
compare that with Bartok's Piano Concerto # 2.

If you are enjoying Barber, then you absolutely must acquaint yourself
with Barber's Violin Concerto, too.  Since you have a special place in your
heart for the Romantic repertory, consider acquainting yourself to Richard
Strauss's Also Sprach Zarathustra or Don Juan.

Finally, don't forget the classical period or style.  Listen to Haydn's
104th, Mozart's 41st, Schubert's 5th and then listen to Prokofiev's 1st
and Stravinsky's Pulcinella and Dumbarton Oaks suites.

Have fun and enjoy.

Mark