From:
Chris Bonds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Apr 1999 18:32:52 -0500
Just read the comment about Fibich's symphonies from S.  Schwartz.  Raises
the question: what is the difference in payoff between listening to (and
buying) Fibich's symphonies, and another listen to Schubert, or Mozart, or
Beethoven, or Stravinsky, or even Ives or Carter? Granted all the time we
have left in this life is finite (some is more finite than others!) do we
go for breadth of experience or for greater depth into the unfathomable
greatness of genius? Is time spent listening to Fibich better spent
listening to the other masters? Has Fibich ALREADY been tested in the
crucible of critical opinion (and found wanting) and so we have no need to
listen? Or is it time for a reassessment? Or does listening to Fibich give
us new perspectives into composers who loom larger in the "greatness"
category?

Spoken as one who loves listening to Fucik!! Hell, I even like von Suppe'!
(and DON'T question me about my bizarre tastes in pop...)

Chris Bonds