From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 May 1999 07:26:03 PDT
I'm not sure if Richard Pennycuick was asking for recommendations for just
the Choral Fantasia, just the Triple Concerto, or both.  So, I'll assume
both and take up more of your time.

For the Choral Fantasia, I recommend either Tan/Norrington or
Levin/Gardiner.  They are both period instrument performances, and the
Choral Fantasia takes very well to this approach.  I do consider
Tan/Norrington the more exhilarating of the two performances.

IMHO, there's only one Triple Concerto performance that reaches the
pinnacle.  That's Richter/Oistrak/Rostropovich/Karajan on EMI.  It's been
reissued every few years, and I'm confident that its present reincarnation
likely has a fine coupling.

Both the Triple Concerto and Choral Fantasia get some flak from so-called
elitists.  Let's ignore them - these are highly enjoyable works of a master
composer; no need to apologize.

Don Satz