From:
Bernard Gregoire <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 May 1999 23:38:02 EDT
Michael Stein writes...

>A cousin reminds me that Artie Shaw composed and recorded a Concerto for
>Clarinet.  Does anyone recall this work, and whether it has been made
>available recently?

I don't recall precisely the Artie Shaw composition but I vividly
remember the upset at least a few "classical" musicians expressed when
asked to perform with popular orchestras or personalities.  I recall a news
magazine of the '40s reported on the upset of a particularly irked pianist
Jose Iturbie being asked to conduct for Benny Goodman in a classical
performance.  "Mr. Goodman is an orchestra leader...he should conduct his
own orchestra!"

"Crossover" repertory has always been a lively and popular area of
instrumental performance.  The afforementioned Goodman had an early '40s
recording "Hora Stocato" I recall it was a somewhat pretentious clarinet
arrangement of solo violin material which seemed perfectly acceptable to
the audience of the time.  I also recall assorted swing orchestra
variations of Rachmaninof concertos which are probably better off left
forgotten.

Artie Shaw had prodigius classical credentials which probably included
some amount of compositional skill and many stuffed shirts from the concert
stage preferred not to acknowledge the existance of popular music although
Stravinsky admired the artistry of Woody Herman's orchestra whom he and
wrote music for.

Bernard Gregoire
Hingham, MA