From:
Peter Lundin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 May 1999 22:48:53 +0200
The Don of record buying wrote:

>I'm thinking of acquiring the two cd's performed by Vengerov and
>Rostropovich of the Prokofiev and Shostakovich violin concertos.
>
>Are these a good choice?

YES, Vengorov is the only bower who can touch Oistrakh, whom I also
recomend in the first on Sony/Masterworks (with Rostropovich in the first
cello concerto) - As long as Russian Revelation is defunkt, my further
recomandtions of Oistrakh and Kogan in these works rests.

>I do already have Gotkovsky performing the Shostakovich concertos on
>Pyramid

Blushingly I admit not having heard Gotkovsky, but then, I dont think I've
ever seen any Pyramid discs coming my way, ever...

>and Mullova/Previn performing the Shostakovich first and Prokofiev
>second on Philips.

The Mullova is OK, but not tuching either Vengerov or Oistrakh...

>I'm open to a widerange of couplings excepting for the Mendelssohn
>and Tchaikovsky concertos.

Why should we? (even if I think Oistrakh makes both worth wile)

Unfortunatly I cant recomend anything other by Vengerov, Ok his Brahms
is fine otherwise his been tied in with conductors that dont help the
music flow in concerti (like, Abbado, Barenboim and Metha)

So Don, the short recomendation is, get these discs, they shine!

peter lundin, gothenburg.se