Philip Peters <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 23 May 1999 14:28:24 +0200
Ulvi Yurtsever wrote:

>David Stewart wrote:
>
>>I haven't bought any new Mozart in ages.  Can anyone recommend some CDs to
>>get? ....
>
>String quintets (Grumiaux), string quartets (the last ten with Alban Berg),
>the divertimento for string trio (L'Archibudelli), violin sonatas (Lupu and
>Goldberg), ...

It's nice to hear someone mention the Grumiaux quintets in a favourable
way.  They're my favourites too with the exception of the Budapest version
which is as good vene if rather different.  Grumiaux' forte (apart from his
impeccable violinism) is *classical* clarity of form and vision while the
Budapest's version is compelling and full of subtleties.  If one mentions
Goldberg/Lupu for the violin sonatas I think there is a better version (of
some) by Goldberg/Kraus from the thirties on a Vox twofer coupled with
Beethiven quartetes and K.523 & 524 with Goldberg/Hindemith (!).  But here
also the standard is set by Grumiaux/Haskil IMO.  More Grumiaux sonatas
were recorded later with Walter Klien and although also quite good they're
not on a par with Grumiaux/Haskil.  Grumiaux also recorded K.563 and I
think that one carries a lot more weighjt than L'Archibudelli who take
Mozart very lightly...

Philip