From:
Eric Schissel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 May 1999 19:18:09 -0400
Actually, Reicha, like so many other composers now known mostly for
their work only in one medium or another, wrote in many.  He wrote many
symphonies (recordings on Valois and on Praga? Panton? Supraphon? I forget
for the others besides the E-flat, the only one which is recorded at all
often) quite a few string quintets and other chamber music besides not all
of it involving winds.  I think it's the "if we're a string quartet and
want to play a work from this period, we have Beethoven; if we're a wind
quintet and want to play a work from this period, Beethoven didn't give
us much" syndrome operating.  Readily admitting that Reicha is not at
Beethoven's level, I still find myself wishing for much more of his music
to be recorded, and not just rerecordings of what has been put to disk
already.  (Hopeful signs are recordings of his fugues for piano, his
piano trios, his symphonies and overture as noted...)

Eric Schissel