From:
Tore F Steenslid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 May 1999 16:00:44 +0200
Tim Mahon wrote:

>On arriving home I discover (horror) that the RVW does not feature in my
>collection -- which I shall put right directly!  I would be interested
>in Listers recommended recordings -- especially those with big enough
>orchestral and choral forces to truly do the symphony justice.

My favourite A Sea Symphony is with Bryden Thomson on Chandos (CHAN 8764).
It's performed by the London Symphony Orchestra and -Chorus, with Yvonne
Kenny and Brian Rayner Cook as soloists.

It's a very good recording, and a few years ago Classic CD called it the
Collector's Choice.  You can't go wrong with this one.

This symphony is my favourite Vaughan Williams symphony.  It was this work
whitch really opened my eyes for his music, and the Thomson recording was
my first all-RVW CD.

Tore F. Steenslid
http://tore.hivolda.no/