From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 May 1999 15:59:27 PDT
In a recent review magazine, Schubert songs arranged for orchestra by Max
Reger, on MDG, was given a poor reception.  In essence, the reviewer felt
that there was little merit in tampering with Schubert lieder.

I have to take an opposing view, since I do not appreciate lieder in
general.  About 2 years ago, I got the Reger arranged songs on the CPO
label.  I liked it very much as I do the new MDG.  Although not pure, in an
orchestral setting I find the songs attractive and even exciting at times.

So, if you like Schubert but not lieder, either of these two recordings
represents an excellent acquisition.  Reviews have tended to favor the CPO
release, but at this point, I'd put them on equal footing.

Don Satz