From:
"John G. Deacon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 May 1999 09:34:37 +0200
Perhaps I can share a delightful "discovery" with anyone who has acquired
this excellent disc (Syms.  3 & 4) where Ziman uses the new Barenreiter
edition edited by Jonathan del Mar?

A retired EMI producer called in for a drink the other day whilst on his
holiday and he agreed with me that what I had heard at 5' 48" in the first
movement is a sheer delight.  Just listen to the joie de vivre of this
marvellous bassoon player executing something that neither of us had ever
heard articulated before - at least never like this!  Charming ...  but
I suspect that word has never been used in relation to this symphony so
please excuse me, just go listen!  Private mails when you've found it,
please.

He agreed with my suggestion that one does not generally smile during
during this symphony but went on to point out, as we listened further, that
Zinman is very close to Scherchen's recording in terms of tempi.  Do try
this disc, it's a winner.  The woodwind playing of the Zurich Tonhalle
Orchestra is a sheer delight.

I must apologise to the list for having made reference a few months ago,
when part of this 4th Sym.  was played on BBC R3, to having heard a side
drum without thinking what I was saying.  When you listen more carefully
at home it is of course the timps but they are rather light sounding ones
and played with an astonishingly fast roll!  And although I still admire
greatly Klemperer's 4th (with the Philharmonia) this one has it all for a
second choice.

And at these prices I intend to explore the rest of this series from Arte
Nova.  Excellent sound from a well known UK team of producer & engineer.

John G. Deacon    http://www.ctv.es/USERS/j.deacon