From:
Franco Carreri <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 May 1999 11:21:45 +0100
As a guitarist with some 25 years of intermittent playing - more
intermittent than playing - I have had time to think about the classical
guitar and life as a guitarist.  This is the first time I've heard this.
For a guitarist, it does have something of a surprise factor.  How could
Segovia be so narrow in his views? But then Segovia's mission was not just
to popularise the classical guitar, but to exalt it.  All things considered
for the time, in particular the public's considerations of Stravinsky's
writings, perhaps Segovia did the best thing.

Stravinsky's work was controversial to say the least.  His pagan ballet
(The Rite Of Spring) - alone enough to upset contemporary sensibilities
-apparently caused a riot in the audience when first performed.  Must have
been the Eb7 against Emajor triads.  It's also fair to suppose that Segovia
gave further consideration to the peso in his pocket.

But then, what stopped Stravinsky writing for guitar anyway?

When I was learning classical guitar in the 70's, if you wanted to be a
concert guitarist, you made straight for Segovia's repertory.  This could
have included Stravinsky rather than Sor.  Would this have effected the
popularity of the classical guitar today?

Franco Carreri