From:
Carlos Tabachnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 May 1999 18:43:41 -0300
Dear members of the list: After meditating for time, and in the face of
the impossibility of communicating directly in English, I solved to aid
myself in the Globalink Translator.  My fear is that my postings resemble
those of Tarzan...  In this whole time that I receive their letters daily
I have read very valuable and interesting things; it is easier for my to
reading than writing in English.  The reason of my letter is to share with
you a restlessness that has to do with the perception of the music, in
aspects, I believe, eminently subjective:

   1) why almost universally, or at least for almost the whole people
   which likes the CM determined melodies produce similar effects? I
   think of dramatic or tragic sensations when listening Schubert (one
   of my favorite ones) or Schumann or Chopin for alone to mention some.

   2) with the same approach we can think of other sensations: happiness,
   nostalgie, melancholic, etc..

   3) is something in the music that makes that an interval is more or
   less dramatic than another? Or is pure subjectivity?

   4) lastly, why the minor tonalities are more intimate, darker, perhaps
   sadder than the mayor tonalities?

I hope this letter is understood and to receive yours interesting
contributions.

Best regards
Carlos Tabachnik