From:
Jon Johanning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 May 1999 08:54:50 -0400
Eric Kisch wrote:

>I have to disagree with Jon Johanning on the subject of subtitles for
>movies and supertitles for opera.  For the former, the appeal is surely
>more than just for intellectuals -- a snide put down, sir, and I know who
>I am.

Sorry, you're right.  I was making a rather cheap-shot generalization.
Still, my irritation is with the provincial-mindedness of the general U.S.
public.  Members of this list are of course automatically excluded from
that category, by virtue of their broad cultural interests.

On opera supertitles:

>If you're an aural purist, don't look at them, but don't deny that
>pleasure to most of us.  And I think they're great, even if I do understand
>the language, for the words aren't always clear when sung anyway.

I wouldn't want to deny anyone any pleasure, where music is concerned.
It's just that they give me a rather odd feeling that I'm watching a film
of the event, rather than attending the live event.  This is probably just
my idiosyncrasy.

Jon Johanning // [log in to unmask]