Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 10 May 1999 12:08:00 -0500
From:
Daniel Paul Horn <[log in to unmask]>
Steve Schwartz recommends among Hindemith recotdings:

>Gould (preferable to Billeter, the only other one I've heard, besides my
>fumbling rendition of the second sonata).

With all due respect, I can't exactly recommend Gould's recordings of
Hindemith, largely because of the vagaries of Hindemith's posthumous
reputation.  The notion that Hindemith's music as a dry, impersonal
twentieth-century imitation of Baroque affects is all to common, and
Gould's way with the music reinforces this impression, largely at the
expense of Hindemith's very precise and carefully considered markings.  As
I have studied various Hindemith scores through the years, I have always
come away with the impression that he was a supremely musical composer,
with an vital interest in line, shape and character.  It does his music no
good to willfully ignore his articulations and phrase-markings; conversely,
paying attention to his notational details yields rewarding and refreshing
results.  Getting back to Bert Bailey's original post, which asked about
the following recording -- Hindemith, P.  "Music for 1 and 2 Pianos:"
Sonatas #1, 2 & 3 + Son.  for Piano 4 hands (71:10).  Ludus Tonalis + Son.
for 2 Pianos.  (71:57) Bernard Roberts and David Strong (pianos) Nimbus NI
5459/60 -- our college library has it, and I've listened to parts of it.
Although I'm not intimately enough familiar with it to make a clear
judgement, Mssrs.  Roberts abd Strong certainly seem to love and respect
the music, and Hindemith's markings, too.

DPHorn, tentatively scheduled to revive Hindemith's Quartet for clarinet,
violin, cello and piano sometime next season.