Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 1999 18:31:29 -0500
From:
Aaron Rabushka <[log in to unmask]>
The Naxos album "Latin American Classics, vol. 1" also has a find and
gutsy rendition of "Sensemaya." Most of what I've heard of Revueltas
has left me with the urge to hear more.  About a year ago the Fort Worth
Chamber Orchestra did something of his called "Homenaje a Garcia Lorca."
They never did explain the connection to Garcia Lorca, but the music was
still compelling.  The orchestration was bizarre, but it worked (only 6
violins and 2 basses for strings; a piccolo and an e-flat clarinet for
woodwinds; brass consisting of 2 trumpets, trombone, and tuba; a pianist;
and two percussion players).  I remember hearing on a Chicago Symphony
broadcast something called "La Noche de los Mayas" which featured an
exotically extended percussion section.  I'm not too keen on the image of
human sacrifice, but it was compelling music with a streak of wild-man guts
comparable to the best of Ginastera.  Revueltas is clearly a composer worth
tracking down for anyone who values gutsiness in sound.

Aaron J. Rabushka