From:
Scott Moser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 May 1999 07:59:51 -0700
Greetings all,
     I was determined to keep out of this discussion, but I guess the German in me
is starting to show!  Having extensively studied genetics in college, and raising
purebred Angus show cattle for 10 years, I hope I can add a little to this hybrid/
purebred debate.  Genetics is such a tricky thing anyway, it is really hard to make
blanket statements.  What role does genetics play, and what role does environment
have?  These are all valid questions that need to be asked.  When talking about
honeybees, who are primarily female, sex linked traits also come into play.  Finally
are purebred strains that are allowed to requeen themselves really purebred?
You may keep a particular race, but what about any nearby beekeepers, or feral
bees?  Are they the same race as yours?  You cant guarantee that the virgin
queen is being mated by your drones only.  Unless you are breeding your queens
 with A.I., or you are in an isolated area, there is a good chance that the offspring
produced will, by definition, be hybrids.  Hybrids do offer the advantage of "hybrid
vigor".  The offspring often perform better than either of the parent breeds. It is
true that hybrid vegetables and fruit dont produce the best seed, primarily because
they can self pollinate, thus allowing them to revert to their old strains.  One cant
realistically compare plant and animal genetics because of the differences in how
fertilization occurs.  Beekeepers, like anyone else need to decide what works best
for them, and use that strategy.  What race works for one, may not work well for
another.  As with anything, pick what fits you best, and stick with that.  That
choice may be hybrids, or purebreds, whatever you feel most comfortable with.

Scott Moser