From:
MARY BLACK <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 1999 15:31:49 +1000
Dear Jacie Coryell

You posted on the paediatrician who was giving suppositories to a breastfed baby if the baby did not have a bowel motion every three days.

Please pass this note onto the doctor you mentioned - anyone else with the same problem please use it as you see fit.

Dear Doctor

I am an MD with qualifications in paediatrics, obstetrics (and some others besides) and have learned an awful lot about babies since becoming a mother. One of them was about the normal length of time between Bowel motions for a breastfed baby. My first child went regularly every day at least once. My second would frequently go for  a week and on a couple of occasions for 10 days before passing anything. Although he was perfectly well and healthy I found it hard to accept that this was indeed normal. After reading a lot and talking to many mothers who were exclusively breastfeeding I realised that it was within normal limits.

Eventually I appreciated the lack of dirty nappies, although the moment of anticipation as the days went on lent a certain excitement to taking him out anywhere. A weeks worth of baby poo is quite spectacular. I would really rethink the use of suppositories in such babies. I would say they qualify as totally unnecessary medication.

Best regards

Mary E Black
Professor of Public Health
Dept of Social and Preventive Medicine