From:
Philip Peters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 May 1999 14:12:05 +0200
Don wrote:

>I'd like some recommendations for the following Franck works: organ
>pieces, violin sonata, string quartet, piano quintet, symphonic variations,
>and symphony in d.

The violin sonata is well recorded a number of times, for instance by:

Gurmiaux/Sebok (1979)
Thibaud/Cortot (1929)
Chung/Lupu (1977)
Heifetz/Smith (1971)
Menuhin/Oborin (1945)
Oisrakh/Richter (1968)

The same goes for the piano quintet:

Curzon/Members of the VPO (1962)
Richter/Borodin Qt. (1990)
Aller/Hollywood Qt. (1952)

I would need a few recommendations for the string quartet, my recording of
the Bettler-Reis Qt.can't be the last word on this.

The symphony in D minor is also often and well recorded.  I like among
others:

the two recordings by Munch
Sanderling
Rodzinsky

Variations Symphoniques ditto:
Rubinstein did a great job with Wallenberg
Maria Grinberg's recording is also very good.

I'm sure others will have more recommendations.

Whie we're at it I would like to draw attention to the intiogiuing works
for harmonium & piano, very well recorded by Jos van Immerseel (!) & Joris
Verdin

Philip