From:
Joseph Previte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 May 1999 12:40:32 -0500
Zino Francescatti is one of my all time favorite violinists, living or
dead (he is dead, BTW!) I second and third the lister who recommended his
Sony Masterworks Heritage 2 disc set - it is phenomenal.  The performances
are different and actually the more inspired than his earlier ones of the
Tchaikovsky and Mendelssohn concertos on the CBS Masterworks label.  I am
not familiar with the recording with the Manhattan Quartet, but would
enthusiastically support Peter's recommendation of ZF's Beethoven concerto
(on a budget Sony disc with Oistrahk and the Sibelius!) and his Beethoven
violin sonatas with Casadesus are top of my short list of sets, as well
as top of the list for individual discs - if you can find them.  He is
intensely musical, virtuosic, romantic, and heartfelt.  Many reviewers in
the past have complained about his "intense vibrato." I have not found that
he used vibrato to ever disturb or impede the flow or interpretation of
music.

Another violinist that I heard for the first time, who I am not certain
whether they are living or not, is Kogan in the Tchaikovsky Concerto on EMI
(Berkshire bargain!) Anyone offer any information or recommendations of
his??

Joseph Previte