From:
Bob Kasenchak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 10:17:25 -0800
Kai Czepiczka writes:

>A few weeks ago my wife went to a concert where Shostakovich's "Chamber
>Symphony" op. 110a was performed.  Unfortunately I had not the opportunity
>to go there myself, but she told me that she recognized some tunes from the
>"Piano Trio No. 2" op. 67 (the beginning of the Allegretto).  So I wonder
>if op. 110 a is based on op. 67, anyone who knows this? When I looked for
>op. 110a in a book about Shostakovich I couldn't find it listed, but I
>noticed that op. 110 is his "String Quartet No. 8".  Is there any
>connection between op. 110 and 110a (I'm not familiar with the String
>Quartets)?

DSCH's "Chamber Symphonies" are all arranged from his String Quartets.
Rudolf Barshai transcribed Quartet 8 and Quartet 10, respectively, as
"Chamber symphonies" Opp.  110a & 118a.  [The Op.  numbers refer to the
quartets.]

Liking the quartets anyway I was intrigued by the chamber syms.  I have
the one to which you refer (Op.  110a) on a New Albion CD 88.  Its the only
version I know but I like it; there are 10 or so versions available of Op.
110a on CD.

Happy DSCHing.

Bob K.