From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 1999 12:15:38 PST
Joseph Previte wrote:

>I know Don Satz will have a few words to say about this, but I
>have never found Brendel or Uchida convincing in Schubert(or much
>of anything else - except Haydn).

That's fine - I like those two pianists enough for the both of us.

There are many great Schubert interpreters, and quite a few have been
mentioned by list members already.  For me, Schubert's greatest sonatas are
D.894 and the last three.  For D.894, the best is Ranki on an Hungaroton
LP.  For D.958 thru D.960, I'd take Brendel.  Uchida does not impress me in
Schubert as she does in Mozart.

Some other greats include Staier on Teldec(fortepiano), Lupu for D.960
on London, and Richter for any Schubert you can get hold of.

The prime Schubert player to avoid is Deyanova on Nimbus.  She thought she
was Richter, but her talents don't come close.  What she does to tempos
constitutes "murder."

Don Satz