From:
Bob Kasenchak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 May 1999 10:47:13 -0700
Hall Jeffrey:

>Dear CM fans, I am thinking of buying the Beecham recording of Carmen
>on EMI, which was recently remastered.  Any comments?

If it's the one with Victoria de los Angeles that was just re-released,
I have it.  I like it very much, but then I don't have that many versions
upon which to base a judgement.  The music at least is fab.

Wasn't the part of Carmen originally scored for a mezzo? Lots of
productions use a soprano but I think some of the dark sultriness is lost.
Is there a good recording with a mezzo or contralto lead someone could
reccomend?

BTW, here in Santa Fe the Opera is performing Carmen this summer and we're
all very excited.  I'll let you all know how it is.

Bob K.