From:
James Zehm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 May 1999 19:23:39 +0200
Eric Kisch <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Wagner? Smile? You've got to be kidding!  I don't think the guy had a
>humorous molecule in his body.  O.K.  ...Meistersinger.  But honestly,
>that is the one exception.  It's a wonderful human comedy, but with more
>heartaches than guffaws.

I see you only accept what is provided our eyes (ears) at first sight.
I wouldn't be surprised if Wagner was a humourist...Meistersinger is
wonderful humor, which I really prefer to th Italian opera buffa, and it
is certainly not "one exeption".  Imagine the sequence where Hans Sachs
corrects his antagonist Beckmesser.  Beckmesser sings ryhming but only at
first sight with the correct musical rules, and Sachs corrects him with
songlines that do not ryhme and certainly breaks the traditional rules
musically, and Beckmesser of course accept, although under irritated
protest.  HA HA HA!

Humor to me is a fine part of Wagners music although they are not the
most important qualities....the opening of "Das Rheingold" is hilarous,
where Alberich tries to seduce the Rhinemaidens.  Wotans troubles fills me
with more malicious joy over his misfortunes than watching Mister Bean.
Siegfrieds babble with Mime in "Siegfried" is amusing indeed.  I think
there is something funny with Alberich too, and the leitmotives are funny:
The Leitmotives are based as idea on those childish small musical sequences
Haydn used to portray the snake and the horse in "Die Schoepfung", and
certainly they are funny:  Most of things in the Ring that has Leitmotives
can be portrayed by music, but how to you characterize a ring with music??
There is a horse and a snake in the Ring to, and the horse is certainly
funny:  When Brunnhilda calls he horse Grane out, this causes a triole
frome the orchestra that in no way sounds like a horse.  A great comic
effect!!!  (but later when the trioles are played many after each other, it
sounds like a running horse).  And...the dragon (Riesenwurm)!!  I always
though there was something funny with it.  It is simply overdone.  I smile
every time I hear it.

This is not everything; I could pick out more, but I have stated my opinion
already.

It wouldn't surprise me with mister Wagner if part of his racism and
antisemitism are humor too...it is so contradicting....

James Zehm <[log in to unmask]>