From:
John Halbrooks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 May 1999 06:50:57 -0500
Nate DeMaria wrote:

>I was wondering if there are other companies similar to Naxos that sell
>bargain cd's, and how is the quality of these bargain cd's in comparison
>to recordings on more expensive labels like Philips or DG?

Laserlight is one label, though generally I don't think that their
recordings are as good.  You can also find some good bargains on Sony
Essential Classics; they are a couple bucks more than Naxos, but there are
some remarkable re-released recordings among them (discs featuring George
Szell and Cleveland come to mind, among others).

As for quality, it varies from disc to disc.  Generally, I don't think that
price and quality are at all directly proportional.  For example, I'll take
Bakels' recording of Vaughan Williams' 7th Symphony ("Antarctic") on Naxos
over any recording at full price.  But the good thing about Naxos is that
even if the recording isn't great, you've only spent $5.50.  It's a lot
less painful than buying a dud for $16.95.

John Halbrooks
English Department
Tulane University