From:
Jane Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 May 1999 00:05:14 -0400
Jordan Schweigel writes:

>I am just curious as to how the different members of this list rank
>Claudio Arrau among the great pianists of the 20th-Century, although
>this is very subjective, I would most appreciate everyone's input.

The listserv string peaked my interest in learning about Claudio Arrau.
So I followed the references, read the biography on the small web site
as recommended and found Mr. Arrau fascinating not only because of his
profound influence on interpretation but also facility in performing
various difficult passages of music over a broad spectrum of composers
and to audiences around the world.  He must have had a tie with Princeton
University either because of recordings or biographical information or
live performances at the University(I'm not quite sure which of these) or
within the greater Princeton- Philadelphia areas.  His long active career
of live performances and recordings must rank him high on anyone's list who
is interested in cm and posterity.  He must be very captivating in live
performances to demand 30 minute applause and sold out performances around
the world attended by 4000 in hall and 3000 outside in the rain.  A single
flaw in his execution of an entire program does seem to make him human and
yet a notable master of the keyboard and interpretation of cm repetoire.
I have been encouraged to continue to search out recordings of some of
my favorite pieces I know he has recorded.  Thanks to the list for the
suggestioned readings and listening about this remarkable pianist.

Jane Pierce