From:
Performance Today from National Public Radio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Apr 1999 12:31:18 -0400
COMING UP ON NPR's WEEKEND PT    MAY 1 AND MAY 2, 1999

LISA SIMEONE IS HOST

Saturday, MAY 1

Hour 1-- Milestones of the Millennium--Patronage: PT's countdown to
the year 2001 continues with the 15th installment of our "Milestones of
the Millennium" series.  Today we'll take an in-depth look at musical
patronage--the financial support of musicians by well-to-do
individuals--and how this support enabled many composers to write some
of their greatest works.

Hour 2-- The Dufay Collective in Studio 4A: We'll celebrate May Day with
the members of the Dufay Collective in Studio 4A.  The ensemble specializes
in the rich and varied repertoire of the Middle Ages and the Renaissance,
and they'll show us why their performances have been referred to as
"medieval jam sessions."

Sunday, MAY 2

Hour 1-- A Telemann Tale: Miguel de Cervantes' story about Don Quixote
was completed in 1615, and it didn't take composers long to set the story
to music.  We'll hear one of the first versions, the "Burlesque de Don
Quixote" by Georg Philipp Telemann.  It's performed by the Baroque
orchestra Tafelmusik, from a March concert in New York City.

Hour 2-- Basic Ginastera: PT critic Ted Libbey joins Lisa for a visit to
the 20th-century wing of PT's Basic Record Library, where Ted recommends
outstanding recordings of music by Argentinean composer Alberto Ginastera.

COMING UP ON NPR's PERFORMANCE TODAY   MAY 3--MAY 10, 1999

Monday, MAY 3

Hour 1-- Byron Janis in Havana: American pianist Byron Janis was the last
American to perform in Cuba: His December 31, 1958 recital took place the
night before Fidel Castro seized control of the country, and Janis left
Havana on one of the last planes to depart for the U.S.  In March 1999,
Janis returned to Cuba, and we'll hear music from one of the two recitals
he gave during his visit.

And there's music on the U.S.  waterfront.  We'll check in with PT's music
producer Mark Mobley, who spent the weekend at the Virginia Waterfront
International Arts Festival in Norfolk.  He'll tell us about a Sunday
night recital featuring the Festival's Chamber Music Director, pianist
Andre-Michel Schub, and "Friends," and we'll hear a selection from that
concert.

Hour 2-- American Orchestras: From the New Jersey Performing Arts Center
in Newark, the New Jersey Symphony performs the Symphony No. 5 by Franz
Schubert.  James DePreist is the guest conductor.

Tuesday, MAY 4

Hour 1-- Labadie and the Violons: Lisa talks with Bernard Labadie, the
director of the Baroque music ensemble Les Violons du Roy--The King's
Violins.  He'll tell us about the various activities highlighting the
group's 15th anniversary season, and we'll hear musical selections from
their recent concert in Troy, New York.

Hour 2-- Coming to Terms with the Guitar: It's a string instrument that
doesn't have a place in the orchestra or a "classical" pedigree--so what's
the secret of its success? In today's edition of "Coming to Terms," PT
commentator Miles Hoffman joins Lisa to talk about the history of the
guitar.

Wednesday, MAY 5

Hour 1-- Milestones of the Millennium--The History of Recorded Sound:
Before 1877, the only way to hear music was to perform it or attend a
concert.  But Thomas Edison changed that forever with his invention of a
machine called the phonograph.  In today's "Milestones of the Millennium,"
long-time radio announcer and recording aficionado Dennis Rooney joins
Lisa to consider how the ability to record sound has revolutionized the
classical music industry.

Hour 2-- Dutoit on the NHK: The Nippon Hosso Kyokai Orchestra is the
oldest professional orchestra in Japan, supported by the Japan Broadcasting
Corporation (NHK).  The orchestra just completed its first U.S.  tour in
more than 20 years.  Lisa talks with the NHK's music director, Charles
Dutoit, about the tour and what it's like for a westerner to lead an
orchestra from the Far East.  And we'll hear highlights from their April
25th concert at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor.

Thursday, MAY 6

Hour 1-- A new leader for the LACO: Pianist and conductor Jeffrey Kahane
has a new job.  He's the new music director of the Los Angeles Chamber
Orchestra, an ensemble that's celebrating its 30th anniversary this year.
He talks with Lisa about the LACO and demonstrates that his Bach abilities
aren't limited to the keyboard.  We'll hear him conduct a performance of
the composer's Cantata No. 82, "Ich habe genug," from their April 9th
performance at Royce Hall in LA.  Bass-baritone Thomas Quasthoff is the
soloist.

Hour 2-- Basic Record Library: Ted Libbey joins Lisa for a visit to the PT
Basic Record Library, where Ted will add three outstanding recordings of a
20th-century work to the collection.

Friday, MAY 7

Hour 1-- Brahms on record: Today is Johannes Brahms' birthday.  To mark
the occasion, commentator John Pitcher compares three recordings of the
composer's Piano Concerto No. 1.  The pianists featured on these CDs are
Glenn Gould (Sony Classical SK 60675), Helene Grimaud (Erato 3984-21633-2)
and Maurizio Pollini (DG 447 041-2)

Hour 2-- In this hour, we'll feature a recent orchestral or chamber music
performance.

Monday, MAY 10

Hour 1-- NARAS on record: The National Academy of Recording Arts and
Sciences--the organization that gives out the Grammy Awards--is entering
the recording business itself.  It's about to release a sampler CD
featuring new, up-and-coming classical artists, and Michael Greene,
president and CEO of the Academy, talks with Lisa about the project.

Hour 2-- American Orchestras: In this hour, we'll feature an outstanding
concert performance by a US orchestra.

FOR MORE PROGRAM INFORMATION, COME AND BROWSE PERFORMANCE TODAY'S WEB PAGE:

   http://www.npr.org/programs/pt

NOTE: SCHEDULE IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE.  FOR EXACT BROADCAST TIMES, CONTACT
YOUR LOCAL PUBLIC RADIO STATION OR CALL PERFORMANCE TODAY AT (202) 414-2370.