From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Apr 1999 08:56:07 PDT
Chandos has just released the sixth volume in Louis Lortie's traversal
of Beethoven's piano sonatas.  Although his cycle has not garnered much
acclaim, Lortie will not be denied.  He is quoted as saying, "I don't
think there's a problem with more Beethoven cycles."

Although I don't have any of the first five volumes, I have ordered the
new volume and will report back on my impressions.

Is there a problem with more Beethoven piano sonata cycles? Off hand,
if it's okay for O'Conor/Telarc to do the cycle, it's fair game for all
pianists.  O'Conor is fairly good in Mozart and Field, but I think he's
beyond his element in Beethoven.

Don Satz