From:
Andrew Carlan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Apr 1999 01:52:16 -0400
Donald Satz wrote:

>>I also did not care for Mozart when I was young; I considered his
>>music effeminate.

"Baris Kilicbay", and in quotation, asks:

>May I ask you what do you mean by "effeminate" music?

How often do you get a two-for to comment on?  So here goes.

I always considered Mozart "effeminate" also.  I guess it was related to
the rogue, makeup and prancing around that characterized "opera buffo."
Then I really listened to his piano concerti.  They are among the greatest,
hottest, jazziest and entertaining pieces ever written.  They are to the
piano concerto what Hadyn is to the symphony.  So, they can't be
effeminate.

Now as to what effeminate means.  Supreme Court justice Potter Stewart
created the lazy man's definition for such elusive words.  On pornography,
he wrote, "I may not be able to define it, but I know it when I see it."

Andy C.