From:
James Zehm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Apr 1999 22:12:19 +0200
Andrew Carlan <[log in to unmask]> wrote with burning passion on Nielsen
- a message with a lots of errors in it, which I now wanted to correct -
picky as I am:

>Andy Jackson wants to be recognized as the leaden expert when it comes
>to Nielsen.  He challenges James Zehn, whose English is awfully good or
>are he an expatriate American, and Tim Mahon pops up, too, with his arcane
>questions.  Hi, Tim, great to meet another Nielsen nut on this list.

I don't want to be nutpicking or how you say it, but it must be Zehm, that
is me, Zehn is the buddhist monk, and it wasn't I who thought of giving all
up and emigrate to Tibet and become a buddhistmonk; that was Richard Wagner!

>>>Ok Guys, what is FS 135? When was the Cobbler's Wedding Waltz written?
>>>First with the correct replies gets the title.
>
>Our Swedish Nuttingale goes first:
>
>>The Carlerino Lullaby Waltz was composed 1868 by Carlerino Nielsens
>>invisible friend Igor Nielsen.  Can I have the title now, mister Jackson?
>
>To which is all the gravity I can shovel into the wheelbarrow, I answer:

I asked mister Jackson, not you! (just to be a little more nitpickung)

>Mozart was a child prodigy at five.  Mendelssohn at 11.  Stravinsky at
>1:30.  If Nielsen had written this Sinfonia Semplice, i.e., "the Cobbler
>Wedding Waltz" in 1868 he would have been writing music at three, before
>he could control his bowels much less his fingers.

Now I must be nitpicking again; I said Igor Nielsen wrote it.  There
are already two Carl Nielsen too much, so why not an Igor? Maybe Igor
Stravinsky had an invisible friend named Carl Stravinsky? Guess HE could
control his fingers!  I couldn't control my fingers at three, that was
about at that time my hands got stuck in the shoelace!!

>Seriously, I remember reading that his father let him play at local
>weddings on Funen

Fyn. Funen was Igor. (oooh, I was nitpicking again)

>FS 135 probably refers to one of his art songs in the tradition of Weyse,

AAAAAAH!  My heart burns at the mention of Weyse!  He who wrote so great
symphonies, a pity he didn't write more, but so it goes in love affairs!
Time for a little Weyse Quiz:  In which work does Weyse quote teh swedish
psalm:  "Var Gud aer oss en vaeldig Borg"?

>Maybe we could start a contest naming Nielsen's unnamed symphonies, which
>doesn't leave many, only the first and fifth.  How about sub-titling the
>Fifth the "Drum Roll In Time Of War" in honor of Haydn who I think Nielsen
>would have relished being associated with, although being an opera composer
>he had a natural affinity to Mozart.

Now we shouldn't as people usually do; underestimate Haydns operas (or
masses, like "missa in notte bella"!), but he [Nielsen] certainly had a
natural affinity to Mozart...ten points to the guy who tells who wrote
"Figaros Hochzeit II" - I guess Carlerino Nielsen with his "Maskarade"
(Wow!  five poins to he who tells who just won ten points!)

>The greatest is truly great.  It is "Springtime In Funen," a
>oratorio he wrote for some fishmonger's society.

If he wrote it for some fishmongers society, maybe he worked a lot with
scales in it? And don't contradict me, then I will just come up with a red
herring!!

James Zehm, the ubiquitous nitpicker, who consider himself to be the worlds
leaden expert in Nielsen AND Weyse