From:
Eric Kisch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Apr 1999 00:40:40 -0400
A bit late on this one but here goes.  I would encourage you to take
your daughter backstage and meet the artists, provided, as was
mentioned, they are "receiving."  I think such visits make an enormous
impression on young children and enhance their concert going immensely.
Here in Cleveland, I'm associated with the Ohio Chamber Orchestra and
whenever friends bring their children to the concerts, which I always
encourage them to do, I always make a point of inviting them backstage
to meet the artists - conductor, soloist and orchestra members.  I have
the advantage of knowing the conductors and the orchestra members, and
they generally smooth the introductions to the soloists.  Introducing
the children as friends of mine to the artists and having them say a few
words to them makes an enormous impression, and when their parents bring
them to more concerts, they all want to go backstage again.  Mixed with
shyness is natural excitement at the goings-on backstage, and after a
couple of times the concert going experience is no longer so strange.
They even open up on what they like and don't like, rather than being
universally polite.

If artists aren't natually excited at seeing children at their concerts,
they're missing out on encouraging the next generation of music lovers.
Anything that personalizes the concert-going experience -- for grownups as
well as kids -- is all to the good.  We've got to get away from the holy
grail atmosphere that is cold and impersonal and ever so formal and make
this a personal, living, enjoyable experience.  Has anyone heard about the
principle of positive reinforcement? Start the reinforcing early and you'll
develop loyal followers and music lovers.

Eric Kisch