From:
Billy Kitson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Apr 1999 07:48:30 +1000
Chris Bonds wrote:

>Anuradha Sivagurunathan wrote:
>
>>On a completely different note..How to make classical cool????
>>
>>1.  Banish penguin tails on stage....
>>
>>3.  Marketing, marketing, marketing.....look where it got Nigel
>>Kennedy......
>
>So changing the costuming of performers and fans will change attitudes
>to the music? I think these are band-aids (no pun intended--but if one
>happens, I'll take it!)

I also think that the "Look" of a Symphony Orch has "nothing to do with
the case".  What has to be changed is MUCH MORE complex = one has to change
people's "thinking" = and NOT the way Hitler did!!  An example here in Aust
"nobody is allowed to Starve" a Social Security safety net catches you = so
Now we have families where 3 Generations have NOT starved = fair enuff; But
none of those 3 generations has any clues as to the "Work Ethics" = How
could the most recent ones = "It" is OK to "Dad/Mum", "it" is OK to the
Grandparents, therefore it is OK+?? If one does Not hear CM before ones
"teens" and be informed of its CULTURAL Connections - one has "No Chance"
of Suddenly falling into a Beethoven frenzy @ 22+ - has One?? My own
interest in CM was RE-AWAKENED (I did Not know it was there from High
School) by an Incident with a Similarly schooled friend in of all Places
"The olde Singapore NAVAL Dockyard" in 1 of its "El Cheapo" - Open 25 hours
a Day - Shops the 2 of Us are "Window shopping without a Clue".  "Chas,
what does this sound like" - Aint a clue, Kit, ask the shop bloke to play
IT".

Now I have a "demoniacal" Obsession with Baroque music:- 200 LPs, 1000
Cassettes, 300 CDs, a Pomcuter bought to initially serve as a "Catalogue",
an ISP Bill that "frightens me", Books everywhere, Cuttings on the walls,
& a seem- ingly eternal Debt to a CD Supplier, etc..  The LP I searched
Australia for later = a Cheap Gold Star (Astor) MacKerras and the
"Fireworks Music" of Handel = IT IS IN A PRIDE OF PLACE ON A WALL = I had
heard it 10+ years afore @ either the Compulsory Sunday evening concerts
(78's on a hand wound Gramophone) @ boarding school or in the Compulsory
subject of Music.  If I had NOT hears it @ school would it have reawakened
a "lost chord" I think NOT.  Ye Fun+Games to enjoy a Symphony living on the
"lower deck" of a Pommie Aircraft Carrier had to be seen to be believed"?!*

Bill(Y).