From:
Eric Kisch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 1999 23:18:38 -0400
Aaron Rabushka wrote:

>She (Davrath) did some dynamite recordings of Yiddish songs to boot!
>I'm not sure what Vanguard has put out on CD.

Yes - it's on a Vanguard 2-CD set)VC 8058/9, with Russian, Israeli and
Yiddish folk songs.  Uniformly superb, it avoids the kind of cloying
sentimentality that this repertoire often receives from well-meaning
singers.  Is anyone familiar with Mandy Patinkin's "Mameloschen" (Mother
tongue, i.e., colloquial term for Yiddish), which I find unbearable to
listen to because of the sentimental goo.  Any other opinions?

Eric Kisch