From:
Ray Bayles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 1999 03:48:21 -0600
I have always thought that Beethoven's Eighth was the ultimate piece of
farcial or cynical music...  The more I listen to that symphony, the more
cynical and bitter it sounds in a funny sort of way...  He not only pokes
fun at his own Fifth Symphony, he makes comment on the symphonic form...
It is actually among the most humorous, farcial pieces of classical music
ever intentionally composed.

I have always thought it was a cynical cry of protest against his
deafness and bad life...  that probably only his best friends could hear...
wonderfully subtle and one of my most favorite works as a result.

Ray Bayles