From:
Andrew Carlan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 1999 00:47:22 -0400
Christine Rooney worries about proper behavior.  If only we had Miss
Manners or Ann Landers.  Unfortunately, all we have is me.  On this subject
that isn't much.  But I give you in the spirit of helpfulness all I have
and know on the subject.

>Is it appropriate to go back stage after an evening's performance to
>meet the guest artist?

Lord Chesterton in his famous letters to his son advising him on good
manners commented on behavior at the theater or a concert.

In the course of his more-than-adequate counsel on this subject adjured
his son most forcefully from mingling with the lower classes.  He noted
one exception:

   If the performer happens to be an attractive female, you surely may
   acquaint yourself with her pleasures in such manner as is appropriate
   to the nobility.

This is still rather useful advise today.  "No entangling alliances" sums
it up with more American directness.

Andrew E. Carlan, Esq.