From:
Al Dugan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 7 Apr 1999 22:18:55 -0700
Christine Rooney wrote:

> This may seem like an odd question but I would really like some opinions:
>
> Is it appropriate to go back stage after an evening's performance to meet
> the guest artist?
>
> I took my daughter to hear Joshua Bell perform last night.  The concert was
> wonderful.  But, it was rather late when it ended...10:45pm, so we just
> went home (70 miles away.)
>
> Sometimes a guest artist will greet people in a main hall afterwards.
> (Pinchas Zuckerman did that...and he looked exhausted.) I've also seen
> open invitations to meet the musician backstage.  But if that's not the
> case...is it tacky to do go backstage? I've seen people do it but the last
> thing I want to be is a stage mother.  My daughter plays the violin very
> well and I am very concerned about being pushy.  It's a tough balancing
> act.
>
> I sure would like some advice.
>
> Thanks,
> Christine Rooney

You should have by all means, gone backstage to visit with Joshua Bell.
You did not identify the city in which he appeared, but even in some of
the larger cities, how often does he perform in your town?  Also, if he
did not wish to receive visitors, he would have made that fact known.
His manager would have been outside the "green room" telling you how he
was not feeling well and needed to go back to hotel or some other
excuse. Use every oportunity for your daughter to meet world renown
artists, just don't be pushy about it and when the flags go up, play be
the unwrittten rules.
Alan Dugan