From:
Tim Mahon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Apr 1999 16:58:36 -0700
Gilbert Chang wrote:

>There are two CALA discs featuring rare works by Saint-Saens, many of them
>being world premiere recordings.  Both were available from Berkshire--great
>bargains!

Come on, Gilbert - share! What's on the other idsc?

>P.S.  I just learned yesterday that Saint-Saens's name should be
>pronounced with the final S sounded.  A friend told me that's how
>the French people pronounce it (which reminds me of Boulez).

Yes -- they should both have the final 's' pronounced.  I just did a
concert preview for the Pittsburgh Symphony in California a couple of
weeks ago and discovered while researching Berlioz (they did a MAGNIFICENT
Fantastique -- really big-boned sound) that he had terrible problems when
he first moved to Paris getting people to pronouce the 'z' at the end of
his name.  Everybody assumed it was 'Berlio' and it wasn't till he was well
established that the problem went away!

Tim Mahon
Alexandria, VA