From:
Gilbert Chang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Apr 1999 10:51:17 +0800
Tim Mahon wrote:

>Brilliant -- sensational -- full of big tunes!  I have Gwendolyn Mok
>playing it with the London Philharmonic, cond.  Geoffrey Simon, on CALA
>CACD1015 (CD, I'm afraid, Richard!).   ...

I totally agree.  I LOVE SS's Africa Fantasy.  To me, SS is such a
fantastic composer at exotic music, and his Africa Fantasy is among his
best.  I do have the CALA disc mentioned above--got it from Berkshire!
Rush and get it before it's gone forever!  There are two CALA discs
featuring rare works by Saint-Saens, many of them being world premiere
recordings.  Both were available from Berkshire--great bargains!

I do have another version of the Africa Fantasy, and I prefer it to the
CALA one:

   EMI  CDC 749757 2
   SS pf cto. #1
   Wedding Cake Caprice
   Rhapsodie d'Auvergne
   Allegro Appassionato
   Africa Fantasy

   Jean-Philippe Collard
   Andre Previn

A fabulous disc--highly recommended!

P.S. I just learned yesterday that Saint-Saens's name should be pronounced
with the final S sounded. A friend told me that's how the French people
pronounce it (which reminds me of Boulez).

Gilbert Chang