From:
Andrew Carlan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 1999 22:50:49 -0400
Robert Baldwin wrote:

>I'm interested in great works that may have been overshadowed by glitzy
>showpieces.
>
>The first one that immediately came to my mind is Beethoven's 4th
>symphony...

But that's true of all the even numbered symphonies.  There is no argument
that they are better than the odd numbered symphonies, the height of
Beethoven's symphony writing being the "gut fahrt" Eighth, although the
odd numbered symphonies are better than Peterssen's "odd" symphonies.
In truth, they are better than anyone's odd symphonies.

Excuses for the odd logic. But who ever said opinion is logical.

Andrew Carlan