From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 1999 09:00:20 PDT
It's nice to see Raymond Leppard receiving favorable comments from Steve
and Wilson; Leppard gets very little recognition in general.

Although I'm a period instrument man for Baroque music, I do have the
Leppard/Bach harpsichord concerti on Philips and have always considered
them excellent performances.

However, my highest opinion of Leppard is based on his conducting the best
version of Mozart's Great Mass in the discography for this work.  That
recording for EMI was my first exposure to Leppard, and I can't help but
have high regard for a conductor who provides the best performance for one
of my favorite works.  Wiat a minute - I just remembered that Leppard was
the conductor for Lin's versions of the Mozart violin concertos on Sony.
Those are my favorite renditions as well.  I wish Leppard recorded more
frequently.  If he showed up in Albuquerque, I would pay any price to see
him perform; I'd even stay in my seat the whole time and not grouse about
the lack of comfort.

Don Satz