From:
Chris Bonds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Apr 1999 23:01:33 -0500
Tony Duggan wrote:

>I want to hear more Paul Creston.  Can I? I want to hear more about Paul
>Creston.  Tell me.

You can read his bio in any good music dictionary or encyclopedia.
I will give my opinion fwiw.  I met Creston once in the 60s.  He is of
Italian descent, I think, and americanized his name.  He has written a lot
of music, all of it that I know is instrumental.  He writes intuitively, as
far as I can tell--he goes for an immediate emotional "fix." He didn't act
or talk like an intellectual or one who had a lot of theory behind his
music.  One thing he said stuck with me all these years.  A student asked
him how he composed (or a similar question, I don't recall the exact
words).  He said it's very simple.  You can follow a dominant 7th chord
with any other dominant 7th chord.  I took him to mean that root movements
per se didn't really matter.  Of course if you take a look at his music you
see it isn't as simple as that.  He has written an alto sax sonata that's
played a lot.  It's a good piece, exciting in the right hands.

Chris Bonds