From:
John Detwiler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 1999 18:46:43 EST
Being a young person now, I know one of the major problems with CM
exposure.  Students are not getting exposure from the one place they
should be guaranteed it-their music director.  While the directors have
some interest in CM, every one in my city has come to their profession
because of Marching Band and Jazz Band.  Maybe this has to do with the
fact that I live in Indiana- one of the premier Marching Band states.  But
still, with four large schools, each with a Band director and Assistant,
none of those eight show a passion for classical.  I came to CM because
of my previous band director...  whenever he would play music in his
Theory/History class, he knew every piece, the melody, how to conduct it,
and so I figured there must be something to it, so I picked out a few CD's
from the library and tried them.  While this would not happen for many
people, good teachers are still role models, and I think that a band
director with a passion for CM could really influence his classes.

~John~