From:
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 13:23:08 -0500
A funny thing about the standard repertoire - you really don't get to hear
these works that often on live concert programs, with the exception of a
very small set of war horses.  That is particularly true in chamber music.
All would agree, for example, that Mozart Viola Quintets are "standard",
but how often do you get to hear a live performance? It would not surprise
me if there were no performances of any of these works in the Boston area
in the 1998-1999 season.  But thanks to recorded music, every music lover
can choose his or own repertoire.  This is a wonderful thing, but not an
unalloyed good.  For one thing, recorded music is only an approximation to
live music.  For another, music is almost too accessible.  We tend to use
the greatest music as casual background music- I'm not at all sure that is
a good idea.  Furthermore, a kind of collector's passion takes over, so
that unless you sell cds as well as buy them, it is a simple matter to get
into a situation where you can't possibly listen to your entire collection
in the time allotted to you.

So am I rationing my listening to a symphony a week? Will I depend on the
library and radio for all listening? No, the flesh is week.

B Chasan