Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 19 Apr 1999 07:11:47 -0500
From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Julia Werthimer wrote:

>Our esteemed list manager writes:
>
>>[Surely OPERA-L is enough for any opera lover.  -Dave]
>
>The trouble is that OPERA-L is too damned much: it is full of people
>advocating this or that singer and quarreling over adherences.  I like
>to see opera discussed in the context of CM as a whole.  And sometimes
>this does happen on MCML, and it is very rewarding IMHO.

While a part of me appreciates the intensity of some who love opera, it
reminds me of a frustrating experience.  Some years ago a friend of mine
had a friend who worked at NBC in New York.  He had access to the storage
facilty which housed the transcription discs of NBC broadcasts.  My friend
set him up with a turntable and tape machine.  Things were going along just
fine until some opera collectors got word of what was going on.  A "feeding
frenzy" ensued and with all of the infighting that was going on word spread
through opera collecting circles and eventually NBC's legal department
heard about what was going on and stopped the flow of tapes.

Karl