Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 11:06:40 +1000
From:
Robert Clements <[log in to unmask]>
Jon Johanning <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Ian Foster wrote:
>
>>The 1812 Overture is dreadful.  I think it is the combination of directness
>>with gimmicks which I find so unappealing.  The loud volume of so much of
>>the 1812 is part of the directness I find unsatisfying.
>>
>>The naked triumphalism of the 1812 Overture is definitely one cause of
>>my dislike.  ...
>
>I understand your viewpoint, I think, but how about this: maybe it's just
>fun to listen to--especially when the cannons and bells cut in.
>
>Do we have to be deadly serious about every piece of music?

Some people certainly think so; although this doesn't necessarily follow
from IF's point....

Sydney uses the 1812 every year for its Classics in the Domain concert;
& adds real cannon & antiphonal fireworks.  I'm not sure how high the
performance ever rates on the artistic scale; & an awful lot of
Sydneysiders inevitably enjoy it.

Personally, though, i found Mussorgski's _Night on a Bare Mountain_
this year's highlight, not least because of the special solo role marked
_circling bats, ad libitum_.  The critters flew in from the nearby Botanic
Gardens; & really got into the hissing spirit of the Russian's vision.
They didn't like the cannonfire in Tchaikovski's score at all....

All the best,

Robert Clements <[log in to unmask]>
<http://www.ausnet.net.au/~clemensr/welcome.htm>