From:
Eric Bullard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 1999 14:27:54 -0500
Yes,  our county commissioners just floated a trial balloon about an animal
control law that would have made beekeepers responsible for "controlling the
flight of bees".  It would also have raised our current distance rule to 500
feet.  Needless to say, our uproar squashed the law quickly.  Currently there is
a 150ft rule (no complaining neighbor's house within 150 feet of the hive).
Also the new law would have forced you to provide a water source near the hive
(not a bad idea anyway).  This was to keep folks from having to constantly clean
bees out of their pools and reduce possible stings.

Our local association offers our leadership to logal governing bodies on any
exploritory committees  to help avoid silly regulation.  Also, on a more
personnal level,  I make sure all my neaghbors get free honey bears on a regular
basis.  Happy neaghbors rarely complain.

Cesar Flores <[log in to unmask]>
02/09/99 02:11 PM

Please respond to Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology