From:
Patti Carroll <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 1999 16:24:50 -0500
carol brussel IBCLC wrote:

why would we not do that? because of the risks. why would i not tell a mom
give up  on pumping if she asks for my professional opinion? because of the
risks. every hospital i have been in so far is just waiting for the
slightest
hint of an opportunity to feed abm to babies without the slightest
consideration of the risks involved. heck, they do it all the time without
any
justification, anyway.

I can attest to that one. It was so frustrating coming into NICU after three
days apart from my twins and being questioned almost immediately as to how
they were going to feed my babies at night when I wasn't there and didn't
have enough expressed milk. I didn't have a clue yet what to do. But the
pressure to give formula was on already. We avoided it but not without an
incredible struggle.

IMO, I think NICU is about the least-breastfeeding friendly place next to
ped. offices. Education, education and MORE education. Of course I am sure
there are exceptions but it is certainly not the rule.

Patti
(aspiring lactation consultant, breastfeeding guru, breastfeeding mother of
16-mo-twins, no thanks to the weighing procedures in NICU)