From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Apr 1999 13:20:57 +1000
Recently I wrote of being surprised at enjoying a harpsichord version
of the Goldberg Variations.  I was talking to a friend about this and we
agreed that in general we enjoy Bach much more in later life, and that when
we were younger, we thought of most of his music as dry and academic.  I
find myself increasingly drawn to music of that period, not that I haven't
listened to it before, but I'm finding more in it than I used to.

I wondered if other have had similar experiences or is my late deeper
appreciation of Bach simply an individual thing? It might be interesting
if younger listers shared their thoughts on composers for whom they feel
an affinity.

Richard Pennycuick