From:
"John G. Deacon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Apr 1999 14:32:18 +0200
If one may be permitted a little chauvinism from this side of the pond this
article, from this morning's Sunday Times, may prove - in the course of
time - to be of interest.

   Britain is at last catching on. HUGH CANNING meets Rosemary Joshua

   < She can Handel it >

   Handel's Semele is the original dumb blonde of opera - vain and silly,
   but utterly adorable.  She is, in the Handel scholar Winton Dean's
   memorable phrase, "an immortal sex kitten", although immortality is
   what Semele rashly and ambitiously aspires to.  Duped by Jupiter's
   jealous wife into persuading the Almighty Thunderer to appear to her
   in his godly guise - Semele is one of the Olympian serial adulterer's
   many mortal conquests - she is burnt alive by his divine radiance,
   though not before giving birth to Bacchus, god of wine and debauchery.

   The young Welsh soprano Rosemary Joshua sings the title role in
   English National Opera's staging of Handel's "opera".  (He performed it
   in 1744, "in the manner of an oratorio", in concert, but it was quickly
   recognised by his contemporaries as "a bawdy opera").  Joshua, in her
   early thirties and one of the brightest singers of her generation, is
   already an experienced Semele.  She sang the role at the Aix-en-Provence
   Festival conducted by William Christie, at the Flemish Opera in Antwerp
   under Marc Minkowski - both in the Robert Carsen production they share
   with ENO - and in Innsbruck with Rene Jacobs.  Both Christie and Jacobs
   want her for their forthcoming recordings, a flattering indication of
   her pre-eminence in the role, but a difficult choice to make since she
   enjoys working with both conductors.  She owes to Jacobs her meeting
   with her husband, the French baritone Olivier Lalouette - her married
   name means "the lark", appropriately enough for a baroque prima donna.

   When we meet at her west London home, husband Olivier is in his native
   France rehearsing his first English role at the Nantes Opera: Junius
   in Britten's The Rape of Lucretia - "So we've had him singing, "Er
   vertu is ze mesure of ma shame' around the house," she mimics in a
   Clouseau-like franglais.

   "The thing about Semele," she suggests, "is that she can be treated
   in so many different ways, and I hope, in this production at least,
   that Robert [Carsen] gives her character real credibility.  She is,
   after all, very real: at the beginning her marriage to Athamas is
   a 'society' wedding and he's a nice enough guy, but with Jove she's
   had a taste of something else - the grass is greener on Olympus."
   She ends Act I, translated to Heaven, singing: "Endless pleasure,
   endless love, Semele enjoys above."

   So, grasping good-time girl or incorrigible hedonist? "Well, I think
   there's more to her than that because there's a tragic aspect to the
   role; she's so vulnerable and so easily manipulated.  Jove is an
   absolute bastard - he wants her to sleep all the time, dreaming erotic
   dreams, and he brings her presents, but he never explains to her that
   their relationship is not going to last."

   The archetypal kept woman, then, strung along, kept happy with baubles
   and sex - one of the funniest lines in the work is Jove telling Semele
   that she needs "time to rest and to repose" - but never the acknowledged
   consort.  The formidable Juno is too clever a politician for that.
   It is occasionally alleged that Semele is a satire on George II and
   his mistresses, but scholarly Handelians tend to dismiss this as
   speculation.

   Semele is only one of the roles that has secured Joshua's international
   reputation as one of the finest Handel heroines of our day.  Although,
   like most singers, she hates being pigeonholed - she sings lots of
   Mozart, Sophie in Der Rosenkavalier; Janacek's Vixen and Stravinsky's
   Anne Trulove are on the horizon - she has made Handelian seductresses
   something of a speciality.  Her Poppea in Agrippina has been acclaimed
   at the Cologne Opera and she will take the part in two new productions
   in the coming seasons: for ENO at the London Coliseum and the Theatre
   de la Monnaie in Brussels.  Later this year she will make her debut
   as Cleopatra opposite the Julius Caesar of the American star
   countertenor, David Daniels.  Although she has the perfect voice for
   Handel's soprano roles - a brilliantly focused, silvered timbre with
   crystalline high notes and effortless coloratura - Joshua seems
   genuinely surprised that she is in such demand for them.

   "Well, it just seems to have transpired that way.  I don't think this
   is something I've tried to engineer.  I had a success with Angelica
   in Orlando at Aix and that led to my being offered Semele there.
   Then I repeated Semele in Antwerp, where I was put in touch with Rene
   Jacobs, and he then asked me to sing in his Brussels Agrippina next
   year." So it's a sequence of "accidents" that have a coincidental
   logic.

   Joshua spent the early part of her career as a junior principal with
   ENO at the Coliseum, where she often covered Lesley Garrett.  Although
   Garrett enjoys unquestionable celebrity in this country - largely as
   a result of her bestselling records - her services are considerably
   less coveted in the international arena than Joshua's.  Ironically,
   Joshua is considered more of a star outside the UK than she is at
   home.  She is conscious that she has perhaps neglected her career in
   Britain, but she has recently changed agents and intends to spend
   more time in and around London.

   She has come a long way since she was Garrett's understudy.  "Jumping
   in for her was difficult, of course, because she's so larger-than-life
   and everyone wanted to see her.  I remember once I had to replace
   her in a performance of Die Fledermaus - I was just out of college.
   She was ill, and I had to take over."

   But she didn't - as Garrett, in the role of the saucy maid Adele,
   notoriously did - show her bum.  "No, I didn't.  There was such
   disappointment.  The audience groaned because they knew they weren't
   going to see a bare bottom!  But I might be making up for that in
   Semele!" she half-promises, sex-kittenishly.

John G. Deacon   http://www.ctv.es/USERS/j.deacon